The Downtown Merchants of Historic Hillsborough promote downtown Hillsborough, shops, restaurants, nightlife, and services.
Ayr Mount is a Federal-style plantation house built in 1815 just outside historic Hillsborough, N.C. Poet's Walk is a mile-long trail on the grounds of Ayr Mount that meanders through meadows and woodlands.
Hillsborough has many historic church buildings, including Dickerson Chapel AME Church, First Baptist Church, Hillsborough Presbyterian Church, Hillsborough United Methodist Church, and St. Matthew's Episcopal Church.
The Old Orange County Courthouse is an 1844 Greek-revival building designed and built by local builder John Berry. The courthouse is still in use for county judicial business.
The Ruffin-Roulhac House is an early 19th century house which belonged to Chief Justic Thomas Ruffin and now serves as Hillsborough's Town Hall.
Hillsborough has several town cemeteries, including the Lockhard-Phillips Family Cemetery, the Margaret Lane Cemetery, the Old Town Cemetery, and St. Matthew's Churchyard.
Helen's Garden is located beside the Alexander Dickson House and features 18th and 19th century medicinal and herbal plants, along with a variety of flowering shrubs, trees, and perennials.
The Historic Occoneechee Speedway trail is a 44-acre natural area and the site of the Occoneechee Speedway from 1948 to 1968. It features three miles of trails along the Eno River and around a 1-mile track that is the only surviving speedway from NASCAR'S inaugral 1949 season.
Occoneechee Mountain, at 867 feet, is Orange County's highest point and has been recognized as one of the most important natural areas in the Triangle.
Hillsborough has many public parks including the Exchange Club Park, Fairview Park, Gold Park, Hillsborough Heights Park, the HYAA Ball Fields, Kings Highway Park, Murray Street Park, River Park, and Turnip Patch Park.